Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
The NIHR Newcastle BRC represents a collaboration between the Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Newcastle Hospitals) and Newcastle University’s Faculty of Medical Sciences (FMS).
Newcastle Hospitals is an ambitious and successful Trust, providing outstanding clinical services to the local population, whilst delivering world-class innovation and research, influencing the sector on a national and a global level.
Newcastle Hospitals is one of just five in the country to have been awarded an ‘Outstanding’ rating by the independent health and social care regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), in two consecutive assessments.
One of the other five trusts similarly recognised, is the Cumbria, Northumberland and Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust, which Newcastle BRC investigators also work closely with.
Healthcare at its best, with people at its heart
Launched in 2019, the Newcastle Hospitals Trust’s new 5-year strategy was created through consultation with staff across the organisation, with a vision of:
Achieving local excellence and global reach through compassionate and innovative healthcare, education and research
The Trust has five strategic priorities:
- Patients: putting patients at the heart of everything they do. Providing care of the highest standard focusing on safety and quality.
- People: Supported by their cornerstone programme ‘Flourish’, they will ensure that each member of staff is able to achieve their potential.
- Partnerships: To be an effective partner, developing and delivering integrated care and playing their part in local, national and international programmes.
- Pioneers: Ensuring that they are at the forefront of health innovation and research.
- Performance: Being outstanding, now and in the future.
All of which are reflected in the NIHR Newcastle BRC’s aims and values
Research and development in Newcastle Hospitals
Newcastle Hospitals have a global reputation for the quality of their research and healthcare.
Ongoing research is designed to help patients benefit from potentially life-saving treatments in the future, as well as having positive effects for patients now. Evidence shows that patients do better in hospitals that carry out research – even if they don’t actually take part in a study themselves.
Newcastle Hospitals’ commitment to research keeps them at the forefront of healthcare and allows the Trust to offer the very best services for patients.