Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
The NIHR Newcastle BRC is committed to the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI).
We strive to create an environment that provides the freedom to achieve one’s full potential, for colleagues in research, healthcare or professional services roles.
We align with the values and policies from both Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Newcastle University’s Faculty of Medical Science
Our EDI objectives:
Research that involves patients, carers and the public
We support inclusion, involvement and participation of patients, carers and the public so that we can;
- Increase awareness amongst, and inclusion of, the most underserved groups in the city and region
- Reduce barriers that prevent the most underserved groups from taking part in research
- Provide access to relevant training and resources for our NIHR Newcastle BRC-funded researchers
Career development and training
We provide training opportunities for colleagues so that we can:
- Support emerging clinical research leaders to excel in their chosen field
- Formalise a training practice within our culture
- Embed a culture of translational, patient-led research within the Partnership
- Ensure all colleagues, regardless of background, have access to opportunities for career development
How we do this
We will achieve our EDI objectives by:
- Regularly meeting with EDI leaders across the partnership in order to explore ongoing opportunities or barriers for colleagues
- Embedding a mentoring scheme across our management structure so we can ensure each theme is represented by a senior and emerging leader
- Adhering to the standards of our relevant charters (Athena Swan Charter, Race Equality Charter, and Stonewall Workplace Equality Index).